FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We answer all your questions about STYLAGE® products and treatments
Aesthetic treatments can be a new experience for some, and whether you have been doing it for years, or thinking about getting started, it is normal to have questions.
VIVACY has answered a number of questions frequently asked by patients about STYLAGE® dermal fillers, but also the treatment in general.
Your safety is important to us, and we remain available via the contact page should you have any questions that have not been answered below.
AESTHETIC TREATMENTS WITH DERMAL FILLERS
What happens during an aesthetic procedure?
Injecting STYLAGE® is a medical procedure and should only be performed in a medical clinic by a properly trained and certified medical professional.
This person must have good anatomical knowledge and injection techniques with hyaluronic acid, be able to answer all your questions and also explain the risks of this type of treatment, as well as the possible side effects.
Before starting or combining different aesthetic treatments, it is important to discuss with your practitioner. Treatments are different and some can be complementary when administered by a professional, and others not so much.
Usually, it is best to wait after an injection before starting another aesthetic treatment, for example: laser, peeling or dermabrasion.
After a Botulinum Toxin treatment and if agreed by your practitioner, it might be possible to use a STYLAGE® dermal filler to fill any wrinkles or creases in that area that are visible, even after the muscle has been relaxed.
Plenty of other aesthetic treatments exist to fight the signs of ageing or simply improve your skin quality. VIVACY recommends discussing with a certified aesthetic practitioner the best treatment plan for you.
Injecting hyaluronic acid may cause some slight discomfort or pain depending on the individual.
To make the procedure more comfortable for the patient, the STYLAGE® range contains products with or without an anaesthetic*, Lidocaine Hydrochloride Monohydrate. The practitioner may also apply a numbing cream to the area beforehand. Once the STYLAGE® gel is injected, the anaesthetic will react after 5 to 10 minutes to numb the area.
BEFORE HYALURONIC ACID INJECTIONS
What you should know before getting treated with HA
Each country has their own specific legislations on this matter when it comes to hyaluronic acid injectable products as they are considered medical devices.
However, VIVACY recommends that only adults of legal age receive STYLAGE® dermal filler injections. Once patients have reached adulthood, there is no limit in age to receive HA treatments.
Also, the product must not be used in patients that are affected by any contra-indications cited in the product notice. To find out more, discuss with your practitioner.
Some precautions need to be kept in mind before arriving to your STYLAGE® injection treatment:
• Avoid taking Aspirin, NSAIDs, Platelet Aggregation Inhibiting Drugs, Anticoagulants or Vitamin c in the week preceding the injection appointment, as many of these have the potential to increase the risk of bruising.
• Read carefully and sign the free and informed patient consent form provided by your practitioner.
The movements and dynamics of the face change depending on the area. Certain areas require more frequent attention than others. However, it is not just the movements of the face that affect the longevity of a dermal filler, but also the depth of injection, the type of product used (volumizing or hydrating), the thickness of the skin and even the level of correction required.
STYLAGE® range varies due to its viscosity and elastic properties2 and this factor should also be taken into account in your treatment plan.The expected duration of the products is:
- For wrinkle filling and smoothing (STYLAGE® S, M and L): 6 to 12 months
- For facial volume restoration and creation (STYLAGE® XL and XXL): 12 to 18 months
- For lip enhancement and volume augmentation (STYLAGE® Special Lips and Lips Plus): 6 to 12 months
- For skin hydration and elasticity improvement (STYLAGE® Hydro and HydroMax): results depend on the patient and treatment administered by the practitioner.
AFTER HYALURONIC ACID INJECTIONS
What you should know after a STYLAGE® treatment
Here are some of our recommendations following a treatment with STYLAGE® products:
- In the 2 weeks following treatment, use a sunscreen with the highest SPF possible to protect your skin.
- Do not wear make-up during the 12 hours following injection.
- Avoid exposing the treated area to intense heat (UV, sauna, steam room) or extreme cold, at least until any potential post-injection swelling or redness disappear.
- Keep your practitioner informed of any “abnormal” developments in the treated area (Talk to your practitioner about any possible adverse effects).
- Avoid vigorous sports during the first week after injection.
For more information (such as massages, for example), consult your practitioner.
Your practitioner will establish a treatment plan that is best suited to your personal needs and will decide which products to inject to achieve the desired results.
With STYLAGE® fillers, the results are visible straight after treatment and can last between 6 to 18 months2 depending on the products. The results may vary from person to person depending on a variety of factors: skin type, area treated, quantity of product injected and the technique used1.
Regular touch-up sessions may be needed to prolong or correct the end result.
As mentioned previously, hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body. This means that STYLAGE® products are considered resorbable (not permanent) and will be naturally dissolved in the body over 6 to 18 months.
Of course, this means that wrinkles, fine lines, and volume loss may become more visible as the product wears off, but this is all due to the natural ageing process.
If you choose to start back up again with HA treatments after stopping for a period of time, then the results will immediately be visible once again, with filled wrinkles, added volume and/or smoother skin.
OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT HA TREATMENTS
What else is there to know about dermal filler appointments?
The practitioner must inform you (the patient) of any potential immediate or delayed adverse effects that may occur following injection of the products, in particular (this list is not exhaustive):
- Inflammatory reactions such as redness, oedema, or erythema, potentially associated with itching and/or pain at the injection site, which usually resolve in less than a week.
- Induration or nodules, colouration, or discolouration in the injected area.
Poor efficacy or a weak filling effect.
- Local mobility of the implant.
- Rare cases of necrosis, abscesses, granulomas, and hypersensitivity have been reported in literature following injections of hyaluronic acid.
- In patients who have a severe predisposition to allergies, dermatological disease, haemostasis disorder, or inflammatory disease, or in the event the precautions for use have not been observed, the incidence of adverse effects may increase.
- In patients who have a history of herpes, there is a risk that needle punctures may trigger a new episode of herpes. In case of haemostatic disorder or anticoagulant treatment, the risk of haematoma is increased.
You will need to inform the practitioner of any adverse effects mentioned above that lasts for more than one week, or the appearance of any other adverse effect.
A number of different indications can be associated with the treatments containing hyaluronic acid, here is a non-exhaustive list of the indications that can be treated by STYLAGE® dermal fillers:
- Under and around the eyes (Eyebrow lift, for example)
- Crow’s feet
- Cheeks and Cheekbones
- Nasolabial Folds
- Perioral Area (Smoker lines, for example)
- Marionette Lines
- Jawline (Facial Oval)
The cost of dermal filler injections varies depending on the treatments and the type of product used. For example, whether the product is more volumizing or more for hydration only purposes.
Depending on the practitioner that you will visit, some do a cost per syringe, while others do a cost per treatment package.
When getting injected, less is always more. Speak with your dedicated injector as you might have to come back for a touch-up treatment in the weeks following your first injection.
It is also important to point out that dermal fillers do not provide permanent results, depending on the treatment, results can last between 6 – 18 months2, meaning that regular appointments will be needed to keep up that fabulous glow!
1 SFAR (2004) Société française d’anesthésie et de réanimation, Samu de France; Société francophone de médecine d’urgence. Pratique des anesthésies locales et locorégionales par des médecins non spécialisés en anesthésie-réanimation, dans le cadre des urgences [Use of local and locoregional anesthesia by physicians not specialized in anesthesia-reanimation, within the frame of emergencies]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2004; 23(2):167-76
2 Billon, R. Hersant, B. Meningaud, JP. Rhéologie des acides hyaluroniques : principes fondamentaux et applications cliniques en rajeunissement facial. Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2017 ; 62(3): 267.
* STYLAGE® XXL, STYLAGE® Hydro and STYLAGE® HydroMax do not contain Lidocaine Hydrochloride Monohydrate.